Mercruiser gimball Bell housing (Question for an expert?)

pikiewicz

Seaman
Hi all, hope that there is someone who can answer this question about my mercruiser gen 2 bellhousing. I recently purchased a larson that had a crack in the very top of the gimball bellhousing.Something must have rolled off the platform and hit the bell housing. I am currently replacing the bellhousing so I bought one online and had it shipped. It was a new one off ebay. Now for the question. The bell housings are different. Same bolt pattern, same hing pin layout but the shift lever seals are different. The bushings are different. The cracked one has a larger type bushing and seal towards the top where it goes through to the shift cable. The new bell housing just purchased has a smaller seal and bushing. The castings are almost identical but at closer look, the new one does have a smaller seal where the shift lever goes through the housing up near the shift cable. So, is this something I should be worried about? Why the change? Why the smaller bushing and seal? Is one better than the other? The only numbers I could find off the new one are 816459C and the old cracked one(original to the 1998 boat) are 808031-C. Any ideas? Any help would be great.
Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser gimball Bell housing (Question for an expert?)

The cracked bell housing you have has the later seal... The new one off eBay has an early seal... I'll dig around and see if I can find the service bulletin with the info... When I find it I'll edit this post and put the link in...

Found it... click HERE...

Replace the seal and bushing in the new housing with a new style seal... Part number is in the bulletin.

Chris......

Last edited:

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

That click "Here" trick was awesome... not to mention the informative reply..:)

pikiewicz

Seaman

Thank you for your help Chris. I had a feeling the o ring seal was the older one. Do you really need a special tool for installation or can it be done by other means? Thanks again.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You can try a socket. Word to the wise though, drive the old seals out, use a round gun brush (like a cleaning brush for a 12gauge shotgun) to clean up the cavity. Then install the seals with a C-clamp and not a hammer.