1994 Force 120 water circulating problem

edoudic

Recruit
I have a 1994 Force 120 that I need some help with. At idle the motor pumps water out of the two water holes on the rear cowling. When I put the boat in gear and start to increase the throttle, the water stops pumping out the holes. In fact, when I have it at ? to full throttle, I can place my hand over the two holes and feel suction. I placed the motor in a run tank without the prop to see if I could figure out what is happening. Without the prop, the water will pump out of the holes at any speed, but when I install the prop and give it some RPM, it quits pumping. Can someone help me with this dilemma?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1994 Force 120 water circulating problem

The symptoms your are experiencing are normal. The two holes are the idle relief holes to reduce back pressure from the exhaust while at low speeds. There is a cavity where cooling water collects at low speeds and gets squirted out with the exhaust. Once you get under way, the water and exhaust gets sucked out the exhaust opening below the cavitation plate.

edoudic

Recruit
Re: 1994 Force 120 water circulating problem

Thank you very much for your reply. My other Force motor pumped out water all the time, at any speed, so I thought I had a blown head gasket or my exhaust plate gaskets were leaking (I went ahead an replaced them). Thanks again for the help.