Help with fuel and starting

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice
Hello forum. I have an older aq125b Volvo penta I am resurrecting. I have it on a stand and am trying to get her to start. It took me a while but I FINALLY have spark at the distributor and at the plugs. But I am Pretty sure I am NOT getting any fuel into carb and to plugs... I have TWO batteries set up and am using jumper cables to get her to crank. I have a wire with alligator clips to jump a hot point (on the slave(?))...to the purple + on the coil. (in first picture).....
28jh17d.jpg

In this second picture (ingenious), I have a black hose coming down from above, on a shelf I have a small gas can, I siphoned the fuel and attached the hose to the fuel pump.
2mc9b3l.jpg

I am getting a small drip of fuel where the fuel line enters the carb, so I know I am getting fuel up to that point. I am including this picture of the starter, I hope I am having the wires hooked up right.
2ii8tnc.jpg

Lastly, I see that there is a small clear hose on the back side of the carb, I am wondering if I should see fuel come out at this point...
2m67se0.jpg

I am trying to crank here over and get a smidgen of hope that she'll start (and ultimatly run). I REALLY want to work out as many bugs as I can before I even think of putting back into the boat.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help with fuel and starting

first off you do not need the tank up on the ceiling !
and no you do not want too see fuel in the clear hose ...
if you do your fuel pump is more than likely bad!

you need to pull the metal line off at the carb hook a hose to it and put it in a jar /crank engine and see if you are getting a good steady pulse of fuel .

fish

captmello

Captain

If you haven't already, go up to the adults only sticky, one of the top posts in the I/O forum and click on the Volvo Penta Info. There is lots of info to look at there including OEM manual downloads. Thanks to Don S!!!

I'm not sure about the jumper wire your using, it may get it started but it will over heat the coil if left on while running. That looks like the main 12V circuit breaker, not a slave solenoid. But I may be wrong.:rolleyes:

How are the points, and the rest of the ignition parts? Did you pour a little gas into the carb to see if it will fire?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just out of curiosity, how long have you owned this boat? Have you ever had it running before? Any of the "Rubber Band" engines (OHC with a timing belt) never had chokes, and can be a bear to get started sometimes. They need to have the dwell at 62 or 62 degrees or it's even worse. if the timing is off or the belt is old, jumped a tooth or something like that, it won't start.

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don, No I have not have the engine running...I picked this engine up from someone else. I don't know the history of it....is there a way to check these things you mentioned?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you Click Here you can download the OEM service manual for your engiine.
You can check the belt timing by getting the #1 piston up on TDC on the compression stroke, and checking the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley, cam pulley and intermediate shaft pulley for the distributor. Pictures in the manual.
Those engines do not have chokes, so you have to pump them a few times to get fuel to the engine. May even take some priming by pouring a bit down the carb to see if it goes. If the accelerator pump is not working, then you won't be putting fuel into the engine by pumping the throttle.
As for your fuel leak, the line attaches with a banjo bolt that has 2 crush washer gaskets and may be where your leak is.