15 HP Evinrude power loss

skeeter153

Recruit
I have a 15 HP Evinrude on a 14 ft Smokercraft. It used to get up on a plane just fine but hasn't for quite some time. Took it to the local shop and they replaced the power pack with no apparent improvement. Any ideas how I can get the power back?

kbait

Commander
Re: 15 HP Evinrude power loss

I'd check spark, and probably get my old cd box back from that mechanic. Maybe it's a coil out, plug or bad wire? Ground? Carb clogged?

Rick.

Captain

Hopefully your mechanic can explain to you his diagnostics as far a replacing the power pack. I assume he was on to something when he took that step. It would be very disappointing to discover the problem is a dirty carb. at this point. Let us know what he says. Best of luck. Rick.

skeeter153

Recruit

Just ordered a repair manual and will replace spark, and look at carb. Kbait...cd case?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

HA- I love the shops that replace parts and it does nothing, tell them to put the old one back on and keep trying.

kbait

Commander

Black electronic ignition (CD... powerpack..) box bolted to the powerhead about the size of a pack of smokes.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

my first suggestion is,go back to the guy and tell him to fix it.Check that your carb is opening up all the way ,that the butterfly in carb throat is horizontal at wide open,then,make sure the timer base ,under the flywheel is turn ing all the way,you may have a loss of timing ,the little rollars on the carb sometimes wear out,it may look ok ,but some had a plastic coating that can wear down,now that is assuming you have spark in both cylinders ,which I hope the mechanic AT LEAST checked before it left the shop.But then again,it still dont work,you may have a coil going bad,check ALL connections including grounds to the coils.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 15 HP Evinrude on a 14 ft Smokercraft. It used to get up on a plane just fine but hasn't for quite some time. Took it to the local shop and they replaced the power pack with no apparent improvement. Any ideas how I can get the power back?

it doesnt sound like it is reving but not giving the push it should, does it?

I was not getting the speed I expected out of my 15 hp kicker motor , but noticed it would slightly over rev....

found the prop had spun on the hub....

bob

skeeter153

Recruit

my first suggestion is,go back to the guy and tell him to fix it.Check that your carb is opening up all the way ,that the butterfly in carb throat is horizontal at wide open,then,make sure the timer base ,under the flywheel is turn ing all the way,you may have a loss of timing ,the little rollars on the carb sometimes wear out,it may look ok ,but some had a plastic coating that can wear down,now that is assuming you have spark in both cylinders ,which I hope the mechanic AT LEAST checked before it left the shop.But then again,it still dont work,you may have a coil going bad,check ALL connections including grounds to the coils.

I looked at the wiring diagrams and discovered there are four grounds. One at each spark plug one at the power pack and one associated with the coils. In looking at the motor I could not see any ground wires though. Are they part of the spark plug wires?

I took the motor to another mechanic and had him clean the carb but there is still no improvement in performance. One thing I do remember that happened some time back was the little tube that emits the cooling water was pushed back inside the housing for a time...the water was still coming out of the hole but not as fast...could this have overheated something? The motor runs smooth and has not trouble starting...just no power in the upper half of the the excelleration.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

From memory, there's one for the powerpack, one for the stop switch, one from the block to the mount in the lower cowl and one from the front mount to the steering pivot tube. Did you confirm that you are firing on both cylinders????

And the coils too, forgot.