what is the mix on my motor?

Marioleonard

Seaman
I have a 1961 75hp johnson. I need to know what the fuel oil mix is and what type a spark plugs I need fo it thanks.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what is the mix on my motor?

My 40 has a how to start decal on the cowling access cover w/fuel ratio. These old motors are usually 24:1

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

J4J plug, gap at 0.030". No longer made....Current replacement is J4C.

That was about the time they switched from 24:1 to
50:1. I'd use the higher oil mix if it were mine, or contact an OMC dealer for their recommendations.

Marioleonard

Seaman

I am not sure what to run I have the 24:1 in it now and it smokes alot. Which one is better for the j4c plugs?

Marioleonard

Seaman

what is the diffrence between a restor plug and regular ones?

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

guys I think that 24 to 1 was for 40w motor oil if im not mistaken I know it sounds weard but back in the day they didnt have 2 cycle oil and they used double what we use now because they used reg motor oil, just a thought tho ill go do some surfin the net and see what info I come up with on when they changed over from 40 w motor oil to 2 cycle oil but I do think it was about that time

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GOOD GRIEF!!

The maker says 24:1, using modern TC-W3 oil.

Why guess??

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

GOOD GRIEF!!

Why guess??
no guessing on my part JB,talked to the local dealer about my new to me 63 75hp starflite and he said to use 24:1.so 24:1 it is .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Reelnative, I think your recollection is incorrect.

If it were me, I would ask Joe Reeves for his recommendation, and follow it. I think he will say 50::1.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Reelnative, I think your recollection is incorrect.

If it were me, I would ask Joe Reeves for his recommendation, and follow it. I think he will say 50::1.
i would not reccomed anything but the builder specs even if i thought other wise just for the simple reason if by some stupid coincidence they had a motor problem after, you know who they will be calling a jerk?lol.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its true that 30 weight non-detergent motor oil was the product of choice years ago. When OBM oil was invented it was a real improvement. But, its also true that engine bearings were greatly improved over the years. So, the change to 50:1 was not made strictly because of the oil.

Some guys say they use 50:1 in all their motors regardless of age. That's their business. The "experts" say stick with the original ratio.

While I agree that the old ones sure smoke a lot, in actuality they smoked a lot back then too. Personally, I'm not concerned unless the plugs are fouling.

D

DJ

GOOD GRIEF!!

Why guess??

AGREED! Todays oils will smoke a lot less, especially the good synthetic stuff.

HOWEVER, that engine still needs that extra mix (24:1) for various reasons.

As a sidebar, I've experimented using less than 24:1 on some pre-'64' engines. I didn't have any issues but all of those engines were low performance (under 10 HP) that I trolled with a lot.