Can't get gearcase off 1978 6hp Evinrude

jtw29

Cadet
This is my first time working on an outboard so I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing. I'm trying to replace the impeller and thought the job was simple enough by just removing the gearcase to get at the water pump/impeller. I loosened the bolts and the gearcase feels loose but it won't drop down at all. I don't want to pull or pry for fear of breaking something or simply just missing something else that needs to be loosened or removed first. Do I have to remove the whole lower unit and THEN separate the gearcase? The manual is confusing because It covers so many different models/years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Can't get gearcase off 1978 6hp Evinrude

you really need a better manual. should have been very easy to follow instructions on how to do this. you must disconnect your shifter linkage, I am not sure where to do it on that model, on the larger motors it is under the bottom carb... DO NOT FORCE IT..maybe someone could tell you right where to look..or reread your manual and see if you missed something.

jtw29

Cadet

The Seloc manual I have describes a pin in the upper drive shaft that must be aligned with grooves in the exhaust housing before the lower unit will drop down about an inch to allow access to the shifter release bolt. The problem is that no matter how I turn the flywheel/driveshaft, the lower unit will not drop down. If there was a way to know when the pin was aligned properly I wouldn't mind putting a little force on it to pull it down. But not knowing if the driveshaft is rotated to the proper position, I don't what to do that. Has anyone worked on this specific motor that might have any insight into the problem?

Thanks!

John

SparkieBoat

Captain

I see what you mean..I read one of my manuals..said to rotate the prop by hand with the shifter in the forward position until the pin lines up with a slot in the housing then disconnect shifter linkage, I have never worked on a small motor like that..good luck

jtw29

Cadet

My manual doesn't say anything about being in forward gear. I wonder if that's the key. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. Which manual are you using?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The link that holds the upper and lower shift rods together, is located in the area of the water pump housing, inside of the midsection.

Remove the four bolts that hold the gearcase to the midsection. Shift the motor into reverse and pull the gearcase down, until you have about a half inch space between it and the midsection. Now look into the gap - you will see a brass link with two bolts in it. Those bolts will also have a screwdriver slot in them. Remove the bottom bolt, so that the lower shift rod can be pulled out of the link. Pull the gearcase down again to separate it from the midsection.

If the gearcase still won't separate fully, rotate the prop (remember that you shifted it into reverse), so that the driveshaft rotates in a clockwise direction, as viewed from the top. There is a rollpin in the upper end of the driveshaft, that must be aligned with a slot in the upper portion of the midsection. Once the two are lined up, the gearcase should separate fully from the midsection.

You will have to remove the rollpin to get the water pump impeller off of the driveshaft. Do not forget to reinstall it when reassembling the motor! The function of the roll pin is to compress and hold into place, a seal assembly that rests in a compartment in the upper end of the midsection. That seal assembly is what keeps water out of your powerhead casing. Failure to replace the rollpin, may result in water intrusion and eventual seizing of the crankshaft!

PS: The reason why I shift into reverse instead of forward, is because it pushes the shift rod down and that gives you more of a gap between the gear casing and the midsection.

???

SparkieBoat

Captain

nice tid bit there Jay, I will remember that, I am sure it will come in handy one day. So reverse it is.

jtw29

Cadet

Thank you so much. It work perfectly. I did have to give it quite a tug to get it to drop down after the shift rod was release but it worked.

Thanks!