Buying a new wakeboard

travbl

Seaman
This will be my second year wakeboarding, I bought a Hyperlite used last year and used it probably about 7-10 times. I am crossing the wakes and doing small jumps. I weigh about 195, and I have a 144 cm board. I wondered if I should get a new board or just stick with the one I have. I thought going a bit smaller would make doing more tricks a little bit easier? Am I right or wrong? If I should get a new board what should I get for my experience level, should I go with a package or buy separate, what size should I get? Thanks for the help.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying a new wakeboard

By the description on you're riding capabilities, I don't you have outgrown the technical features on your board. Yes, a shorter board would help you for spin tricks, but a longer board gives you more speed to achieve wake to wake jumps which are crucial to develop more height and learn more tricks. Plus the 144cm board gives you more stability. I am 6'2, 195lbs and I ride a 144cm Ronix One. I have been riding for one season, can spin 3's, do side flips and most grabs. Even at the level I am at, I dont believe I am ready for a smaller board, I still need a real generous carve to get a wake to wake going getting about 6-7 of air. I tried my friends 138cm Ronix One and I felt very awkward, I was much slower in my turns and could not get wake to wake jumps on a consistent basis, so my advice to you, give yourself maybe another half season or full season on the 144cm, once you feel the board is holding you back, then it's time to shop!

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying a new wakeboard

You don't need a new board. Size may be a little on the large side for you, but definately not out of the realm of what you shoudl be riding.

Just out of curiousity, which Hyperlite are you riding?

However, if you would like to make a little more investment into your hobby just because you want to, you have probably spent enough time behind your boat to know your board, how it cuts, how it feels coming off the wake. Now is the time to get out with others and try their boards. You will get a chance to feel different rockers, sizes, bindings, etc and see what you like the best.

Being comfortable will help your progression. I was in a similar boat as you, and I tried a Hyperlite Murray... well I loved its control and soft landings. So, I bought one and haven't regretted it since, but it wasn't neccessary. Fun fact here is that I ride a 140, 6'0" 215, but was riding a 142 Hyperlite Apex... the Murray is shorter, lighter, but has more surface area, more pop, softer landings, but is not as fast due to the hybrid rocker line.

There are a lot of shapes out there, and lots of things to experience before you purchase another one. The good news is with a Hyperlite board, it will last you for some tiem to come if you decide to hang on to it.