First Time Alignment Problems

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1987 Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha 1

I just picked up my alignment bar today and checked the alignment on the boat after replacing the gimble bearing, bellows and u-joints. I'm pretty sure I have the height of the engine pretty close, but the bar is still difficult to insert/remove.

The grease tracks tell me that the coupler is off a little to the left. Is there a good way to adjust the engine alignment side to side? I have no idea when the engine was last aligned. Based on the condition of the bellows, I'm guessing it has been a while. How could it get out of alignment to the side? Am I just crazy? The boat seems very solid-transom, engine mounts, etc.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: First Time Alignment Problems

The gimble bearing literally Gimbles in the carrier it is installed in. It will piviot up, down, sideways, and diagnally. If you are getting lines on the left side of the tool. Pull it out so the end just clears the coupler and hit the end of the too closest to you towards the left just a hair and re check alignment.
The bearing it'self must be aligned as well as the engine. It's tricky getting it set the first time.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

it should slide in easy ,just start the tool tap it on four sides to get it looking straight then you align engine. think of it as a eyeball. i had my engine set and i knocked the gimble bearing out of wack and shaft would go in really snug tapped it around and back to good. it is a little confusing at first but once you figure it out you will understand also make sure your rear mounts are tight and your front mount bolts are not loose , the ones at the stringer and the ones in the wood. mine has for small ones at wood to stringer that are really small.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! Awesome! Got it.

Happy Easter Everyone!