1982 merc 115 not peeing water

IronOutlaw

Seaman Apprentice
Ok the motors been sitting for three years and was parked with no problems says the prior owner. I got it fired up and noticed no water coming from pee hole. I cleaned out the tube and even disconnected the rubber hose from the engine and looked through it only to find it was perfectly clean. I then pulled the lower unit and took apart the water pump and the impeller looks brand new. I brought it to the local shop and showed it to them and they said it was the right impeller and gaskets.

I'm stumped. I guess tomorrow I'm going to run some significant water pressure through the engine to see if I can blow anything through it. Any suggestions aPpreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1982 merc 115 not peeing water

Two checks I do is to watch the water spray from around the flushes as the engine is started. You should notice less spray, that means the pump is pulling water. The other thing I check is the temperature of the exhaust cover. It should be cool to the touch. If it is, then you have water flowing. Next I blow out the telltale with compressed air... and you should hear the air exiting in the exhaust chamber.

Chris........

IronOutlaw

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I got it back together and it is now pumping water, but how much pressure do these things put out. I gotta 55 Johnson and a 1990 something 25 merc and both put out more pressure than this motor. I can put my finger over the peehole and stop water flow easily and when I rev the motor to around 2000 to 2500 it starts to squirt out sporatically instead of in a solid stream. I'm running it on muffs rght now and wish I had a tank to out it in and see what it will do. I did notice a little wear on the bottom of the pump but thought nothing of it.

achris

The pressure on the in-line 6s was never high. Stopping it with your finger is easy to do. The reason for the spluttering at 2000-2500 is because the hose can't supply enough water at that speed and the pump is sucking in air around the edges of the muffs.... You shouldn't be running the engine at anything but idle on muffs. You can damage the pump.

Chris........

IronOutlaw

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm gonna try to find something to use for a tank and test it. I don't want to drive an hour to the lake and have to come back home.

achris

Get a 50 gallon drum and cut it in half....

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

normal. had that same engine.

IronOutlaw

Seaman Apprentice

I used a truck toolbox. Lol. It pumps like a champ submerged so now I'm confident enough to go to the lake. Thanks for all the GOOD information this is a great board.