Wheel Hitting fender on one side

redright9

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 EZLoader trailer for my boat. I noticed that the right side tire is very close and at times hitting the fender. The other side appears to be proper. The trailer does have rubber torsion suspension, could that be failing?

Attachments

• DSC05759.JPG
    DSC05759.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05761.JPG
    DSC05761.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05763.JPG
    DSC05763.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05764.JPG
    DSC05764.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC05765.JPG
    DSC05765.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: Wheel Hitting fender on one side

The trailer does have rubber torsion suspension, could that be failing?

More than likely, as long as the trailer is on level ground, loaded level and the tires are the same size.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

have you inspected the fender brackets and mounts?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Sure looks like one side has sheared assuming the fender mounts are equal and in good condition on each side. There is no repair to these axles unless it is a axle shaft issue, if the torsion is sheared you have to replace the entire axle.

http://www.championtrailers.com/TORSION%20AXLE.htm

Fishing56

Seaman

I was experiencing the same problem with my 1996 19ft boat trailer. It came with 215/75r14 tires. I needed a new tire so replaced both with 205/75r14's. It will give you about 1/2 an inch extra clearance. Load rating on new tires was actually about 15lbs more per tire?

I had explored adding a spring lift kit from local autozone store. Would have worked, but the u-bolts were not the same diameter (smaller) than on trailer. Didn't want to go that way.

Fishing56

redright9

Seaman Apprentice

How common is it for this to happen? Is there a way to take things apart and check to see if it has sheared? I did check the fender mounts, they are good..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Overloaded perhaps?? Misadjusted fender or support brackets? Or the dreaded torsion failure. You need to investicate further. Park on a level surface and then step about at 30 feet and eyeball the trailer from the rear. Is the inside of the tire the same distance from the frame rail? does the trailer sit level? Measure the swing arm distance from the road surface. Equal on both sides? Did the entire axle shift to one side or the other.

redright9

Seaman Apprentice

I checked the fenders, they are ok and mounted properly.. The trailer is the one that came with the boat new. The swing are does seem to be sitting like the rubber in the axle is comming apart. I havent had time to do some measurements, but going to. Thanks for all the help!