4.3L engine water pump question

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was running my engine on the muffs today and started getting some water leaking out of the water pump weep hole.I figure it's a seal gone bad and want to replace the pump.My question is do I need anything special? Is it counter rotation or anything? The motor is a 4.3L GM V-6 serial # 0L047219. The info on the flame arrestor states left hand rotation is that for the crank because my prop is right hand rotation.Any help on what pump to order is really appreciated and thanks again everyone.
~Leo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3L engine water pump question

Left hand rotation is the engines direction of rotation looking at the flywheel from behind the engine.
Assuming you are referring to the engines circulation pump mounted on the engine where an (automotive) water pump is installed.
The marine pump is built to stand up to the marine enviornment and the higher rpms of a marine engine compared to automotive.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the fast response Don:) I am talking about the engine's water pump any idea on just what I need to order? I can't find what I need in Iboats I do know to get a marine pump.I saw one from Mallory Marine that looks like it might be right I just don't know for sure.
Also the # on the circulating pump is GM 10108455

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I saw one from Mallory Marine that looks like it might be right I just don't know for sure.

I wouldn't use one of their parts on my worst enemies boat.

The OEM part number for your circ pump is 850399 1
Just cross reference it for the proper pump from iboats. Just avoid Mallory.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thankyou Don and I will take your advice to heart as always and stay away from mallory!!!!:eek:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Geeze Chris! That is robbery!!:eek:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Did you guys catch the guy last week from england that paid close to 10 bucks US for a quad ring seal.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes and no on that Gary there are two from Sierra then 3583 and the 3599 I need the 3599 so you and Chris are incorrect. The difference being the steel or composite cover plate.It almost slipped me up as well and of course you have no way of knowing which I have but it makes a difference in the bolt length.Just an FYI for the next person.Thanks again guys. I don't think I could afford to be a boater down there Chris.

~Leo