1973 85horse mercury prop slipping

mikejallen

Cadet
My 73 85 horse merc will not reach full speed the motor revs high but the boat wont go very fast. Can anyone give me some ideas of what it may be and how to fix it. I took the prop off the teeth look good but it looks like there is a rubber linning in the prob that is breaking up.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1973 85horse mercury prop slipping

.... but it looks like there is a rubber lining in the prop that is breaking up.

Got it in one....

Get the prop re-hubbed (or a new prop) and you're back in business...

Chris......

Moody Blue

Captain

Spun hub. The outer prop body or the inner splined bushing has broken free from the rubber hub.

To diagnose, make an alignment mark across the prop body, rubber hub and inner splined bushing. Take the boat out for a run and re-check the alignment mark. If all three parts are no longer in alignment then you have a spun hub.

Can be repaired by a prop shop or you can buy new/used.

mikejallen

Cadet

Thanks guys I will check with a shop and see if they can rehub this. I hope they can fix it because it is a nice stainless steel prop they are not cheap to buy

emckelvy

Commander

Any "prop shop" that can't re-hub a stainless prop ain't a real prop shop! Should be a very easy repair for them.

Just be sure to follow any break-in instructions they give you.

Typically they'll use a water-soluble lubricant on the rubber bushing when they press it in, this has to have some running time at reduced throttle to wash out of the prop, before you run it full tilt.

HTH...........ed