'61' Merc 6 HP Very Little Pee at High RPMs

Mitytim

Cadet
#1- 1961 Mercury 60. When at idle it pees pretty well and the water temp is luke warm. As I up the rpms the water appears less and seems to get pretty warm (almost hot). Water is also coming out at the hole under the engine cover on the right hand side facing the engine on high rpms. If I have to replace the impeller can you give some instruction please???

#2- If I set the gas tank above the engine on a ladder it keeps running, but if I set it on the ground it will quite in a couple of minutes even with the vent cap all the way removed. Could this be time for new lines???

Thanks for all and any help you can give... Tim

Last edited:

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '61' Merc 6 HP Very Little Pee at High RPMs

#1time for impeller change drop l/u thier should be five bolts to drop l/u taking the pump apart is pretty simple put a little dish on the impller makes it go in a little eaiser. #2 maybe the fuel pump it not hard to rebuild and the kit coast about 12 bucks.

Mitytim

Cadet
Re: '61' Merc 6 HP Very Little Pee at High RPMs

Thanks. Have already bought the impeller so will tackle tomorrow after work. Walley are bitin on the river so I gotta go! Thanks for you help. I will try the dishsoap advice also.
Tim