125 not firing right? newbe needing help

mralex

Cadet
hi everyone,

well my time to post my problem, some searching and still lost.

the issue - 1988 force 125, bought may of '09, thought it ran great no real work done to engine
victim - me

- inspected all over the engine , found broken off wire and repaired the ground wire from the rack that holds the spark plug boxes, what are they called? had read a post saying have two so made and installed a extra ground wire there. this ground wire was 100% disconnected.
- repaired almost frayed wire at rectifier coming from stator, it was just closed but not disconnected
- was having a no start problem last season late, thought new ignition. replaced
- still click at trying to start
- test and replace starter soloniod.
- fired up today and while running it would sputter.
- did the only test that my limited knowledge has , I disconnected each spark plug while running and sputtering in my tank.

spark plug # 1 - engine dies
spark plug # 2 - engine dies
spark plug # 3 - engine continues to run , not effect
spark plug # 4 - engine continues to run , not effect

shut down and now i am asking for some help. what tests equipment do i need to have a good season. things i should do, let me know, decarb engine, change plugs, change diaphram in fuel pump, rebuild carbs?, a newbie ready to listen.....

take care

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 125 not firing right? newbe needing help

Not being a smart ***** but the first piece of test equip. should be a manual. Mine's an '86 and the manual was a frustration saver.

mralex

Cadet

hello,

well i can not say your a smart ***, i do have a seloc manual. I just feel like a dumb ***, it confuses the he** out me. Alot of different motors information that i don't need, and to pull out the information about just my motor seems difficult. Or should i just bite the bullet and sit and read that thing cover to cover over the next week or two, get the highlighter out and note book, maybe a clymers manual would be better?

now if they had just a troubleshooting chapter where i could pull specific problems and solutions . like if cylinder 1&2 seem to be the only ones working and 3&4 aren't. where do i start? spark plug tester? one carb not functioning? the electronic iginition part bad? all of the above?

solutions, or even a idea of what i type into the seach feature to read all the old posts with similiar problems?

take care

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi, welcome to iboats.

The "sparkplug boxes" are the cd modules.

""- was having a no start problem last season late, thought new ignition. replaced""

What ignition components were actually replaced?
Stator?
Trigger?
cd modules?
Coils?

3 BASIC THINGS NEEDED FOR THE ENGINE TO RUN, FUEL, compression, and spark.

Appears that cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing at all.

Compression could be low, likely caused by blown head gasket or broken piston rings.

Fuel may not be getting to those 2 cylinders due to carb issues.

Or no spark on #3 and 4, could be broken wire from stator, trigger, cd module, or coil. Or could be one of those components has failed.

So, #1, test the compression on all 4 cylinders. If bad, pull the head and examine.
#2, check for a strong spark on #3 and 4 sparkplugs. If weak or no spark, troubleshoot the ignition system.

If those items check out, check out the carbs.

The Clymer manual is much better than the seloc.
It does have a troubleshooting section, and very good explanation of how 2 stroke motors work.

It also covers many models of motors, but does it more clearly and thoroughly then any seloc manual.