Wiring new trailer lights

chzbykr

Recruit
probably stupid on my part, but got new wiring for trailer (Peterson kit). It had no instructions and for the most part none needed. However at the lights there are no wires coming out of the light only holes to push the wires thru. they are well marked as to color wire and where but how do you get these to push thru to the spring like wire binders inside? the wire just bends when I try to insert it.

Also (might should start new thread for this) I'm going to attach lights to a board and strap across rear of my small fish boat. to take off at launch. If I run seperate ground for each light will there be a problem?

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wiring new trailer lights

Short answer
1- I don't know
2- No

Longer answer
1- I've never had a problem pushing the wire in, just pulling it out after it has become corroded. I've just stripped about 1/4" off the end twisted the strands and pushed it in and it locked in. Might have to give it a twist as you push it in.

2- I'd add an extra flat 4 connector at the rear for your additional light board. Easy to remove and store when not needed. And yes, each light will need a ground wire since your installing them on a wood board.

Ron.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

they make magnetic towing lights.....thats what is on every car you see being towed....some guys use them on their trailers....just pluck them off before launch , and stick'em down befor leaving launch site....
they come with plenty of wire...
they even have wireless sets ......around $150.00 at most chain auto parts stores...hmmm....wireless...no more broken wires or bad ground....:cool:

chzbykr

Recruit

Short answer
1- I don't know
2- No

Longer answer
1- I've never had a problem pushing the wire in, just pulling it out after it has become corroded. I've just stripped about 1/4" off the end twisted the strands and pushed it in and it locked in. Might have to give it a twist as you push it in.

2- I'd add an extra flat 4 connector at the rear for your additional light board. Easy to remove and store when not needed. And yes, each light will need a ground wire since your installing them on a wood board.

Ron.

Thnx Ron, you were right on on both counts. You do have to start pushing them in at angle toward the top tho. that seemed to work best.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are having trouble pushing the wires into the lamp assembly, remove the lens and relieve some of the pressure on the spring. It also helps to tin (apply solder) to the bare strands of the wire before pushing them in. Then seal the holes with clear silicone.