Crestliner wiring for electronics

NakedDog

Seaman
Hi Gang,

I have a 1996 Crestliner Sportfish, that I bought in the fall therefore have not had in in the water yet. I have a question about the wiring and which battery powers which accessories. It is a 3 battery setup.

I was confused when after tinkering I noted the starting battery powers the bilge, radio, tilt & trim, and livewells.

I'm not sure if any changes to the wiring were made from the original Crestliner setup from factory, but I would like to know what all the components that are powered from the starting battery. There are 2 other batteries, however they appear to power only the trolling motor and front hookup for a fishfinder.

How was your Sportfish or similar Crestliner wired from factory?

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Crestliner wiring for electronics

both of my crestliners were trolling motor 2 batts. everything else on starting batt.

NakedDog

Seaman

k thanks...Guess that will change my thinking on getting a new starter battery!!!

88phantom

Seaman

My old 88' powers the whole boat of the starting battery, and has a single trolling battery. I am installing an isolator so I can charge the tolling battery with the motor though.

dlaxdal

Seaman

I also have two batteries in my 97 1850 sport fish and one does the cranking and the other runs the electronics. Does anyone have any advice on the isolators and how to install.

Thx

88phantom

Seaman

They are pretty simple- just follow the instructions. I am considering a different approach, however, now. Since I am limited to about 10 amps charging power at WOT, I think I am going to follow the directions in Figure #1 of the following thread, which basically does not charge the trolling battery but allows you to switch the house loads (including trolling if necessary) to the starting battery, and the engine charges whichever single battery is connected.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228575

An isolator takes the 10 amp charge from you alteernator to each battery at the same time (very limited charge to each at that rate) but prevents the engine from using the trolling battery and the trolling motor from using the start battery.