Post Gluvet question

backlashed

Seaman
I'm just about to the point to Gluvet the inside of my Starcraft hull. Since its below the floor, I know it's not necessary to paint it, but I'm wondering if an extra layer of primer and paint would be added insurance against leaks, or would it just be a pain to deal with for future leaks. More is not always better????

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Post Gluvet question

im not a tinny owner at this point , have read in previous posts that if you do paint it must be a certain kind, dont remeber what. on of the sages will come along soon enough.

Bondo

Staff member

but I'm wondering if an extra layer of primer and paint would be added insurance against leaks,

Ayuh,... I've never seen Paint stop a Leak, myself...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't. Won't do what you intend it to, and you'd need expensive ZC primer to get the paint to stick to the non-gluvitting areas.

D

DJ

NO PAINT under the Gluv It.

If you do anything, wash the area with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. That cleans very well and gives the aluminum a slight etch.

Jeep Man

Commander

NO PAINT under the Gluv It.

If you do anything, wash the area with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. That cleans very well and gives the aluminum a slight etch.

I think he is talking about painting OVER it. From what I have read, it is only necessary to paint over it if it is exposed to UV rays. I'm using it on my tinny and will not be painting it under the floor.

backlashed

Seaman

I think he is talking about painting OVER it. From what I have read, it is only necessary to paint over it if it is exposed to UV rays. I'm using it on my tinny and will not be painting it under the floor.

Correct,
I was just wondering if the addition of paint over gluvit would have any sealing properties.
I don't know if I have ANY leaks or not yet, just thought in might be beneficial.
Thanks

On the subject of priming bare aluminum. Is ZC necessary for spot priming?

Ray

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gluvit should only be overcoated with paint if it is in constant sun exposure since it does not have UV protection and could break down (same as most epoxies).

Yes bare aluminum spots should be coated with zc before paint