Had to be towed in today. Help!

OMCEd

Cadet
I have replaced the ignition in my 89 OMC 2.3L. New plugs, wires, new Mallory Dist. with electronic ignition, new mallory coil (not a resistor coil). Timed to specs. And reman carb also.
Only fault I could find before going to lake today was coil run voltage was 7.5 volts instead of the 9 volts I have read it should be on this site.
Ran fantastic for about an hour. Climb out, top end, idle, stopped and started a few times- all real smooth. I was running about 4 T RPM when I felt the motor drop rpm a few times and I throttled back and it died. Would not restart at all in neutral. If I advanced the throttle out of gear sometimes the engine would start and run above 3 T RPM but if I reduced throttle below 3,000 it would always die and I could not keep it running to get it into gear.
I have not tested my fuel pressure.
When I got home I put a spark check device on the number one plug wire and it looked like I had blue spark across a gap of 20 on the device.
Any ideas?? weak fuel pressure? weak coil voltage? I am lost. Thanks, Ed

Viking...

Seaman
Re: Had to be towed in today. Help!

It could be several things Ed.
I would start with the fuel system though, and start with the easy stuff first.

Is the vent for the fuel tank plugged.
Has the fuel filter been replaced recently, or could it be plugged.
How old is the fuel, might be causing issues if it's not recent.

If all that checks out, you might want to check the fuel pump itself.

That's a start at least, good luck.

OMCEd

Cadet

Thanks buddy, I did install a new fuel filter but have not checked the others. Ed

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can eliminate the carb and fuel pump by hooking up an outboard tank to the fuel pump and seeing if it will run. If it does, the pump and carb are ok.
You then have a problem with the boats fuel system like the lines pinched, loose clamps causing an air leak, antisiphon valve plugged up, fuel pickup plugged up or broken causing an air leak, or as mentioned a plugged vent.