2006 F75 Pitot

the brawns

Recruit
So I bought a used F75 and installed it along with the multifunction guages on my boat. Took it out and the speedometer wasn't working. After doing some research I found out that the pitot may be clogged.

From what I read I was told to use an air hose and make sure that I can blow air back through towards the engine. Well I did this using a 12V air compresser you use for the car. OOPS go to about 80 PSI and the pitot tube blew off. The tube connects inside the lower unit. through an opening just under the lower cowling.

Does anyone know of an easy way to reconnect this? Will I have to take off the gear case to reattach the tube and clean the clog? Can the boat be run without it connected? I probably will not try to run the boat without it repaired anyway as I am a little anal when it comes to the outboard as I know a little mistake can be BIG $$$$. Thanks all.

Grant

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2006 F75 Pitot

if it blew off at the gearcase the gearcase hase to be removed to reattach it, thats why the internet is both good and bad.
you got bogus information.
run it this weekend wont hurt anything.

the brawns

Recruit

anyone know how to take the gear case off? Does the lower unit need to be drained of oil first? Is it simple enough to describe on here? Thanks!!!

I read on here to use a tiny drill bit and do it by hand through the pitot hole right below the cavitation plate...Did that this afternoon and it cleared:D now I just have to reconnect the tube:redface:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Do a forum search. there are lot of people asking and lots of advice.
I have not done a 4 stroke , but all the 2 strokes have been easy as long as the bolts are not seized and come out.

No draining needed