Pontoon Deck Thickness

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm starting a rebuild on a pontoon & was wondering if I can get by using 1/2inch marine plywood instead of 3/4 inch. There is a big dieerence in the price of the two sizes in my area. The pontoon is a JC 23ft that is built very solid & thats why I was wondering if I could get by with using 1/2 inch plywood.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Pontoon Deck Thickness

IMO 1/2" would be too thin and would result i too much flexing. I would think the minimum would be 5/8". Good luck with the project.

twisterlodge

Cadet

i would think thicker os better,. i built a toon using 40 plastic barrells and decked it with 2x12 fir. main stingers holding the floats are 4x10 tamarack

go big !!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Anything less than 3/4 inch and the running in rough water will be akin to trying to balance on one foot on a waterbed. The deck is part structural. Extreme flexing with 1/2 inch plywood will begin to stress and crack welds.

TheLucille

Cadet

i would think thicker os better,. i built a toon using 40 plastic barrells and decked it with 2x12 fir. main stingers holding the floats are 4x10 tamarack

go big !!

Any pics/details of this sucker? That's over 16,000 lbs of floatation. I'm thinking of building one myself for a party barge, complete with sand and a tiki bar.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anything less than 3/4 inch and the running in rough water will be akin to trying to balance on one foot on a waterbed. The deck is part structural. Extreme flexing with 1/2 inch plywood will begin to stress and crack welds.

I hadnot thought about that & it makes a lot of sense. I'll stick with the 3/4" & not have to worry about the stress cracks. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, the wood on the deck is a major structural part of the boat,I don't think 1/2'' woould hold up for long and I am sure you don't want to do this again any time soon.

3/4'' is the norm.