Need help with seting up steering.

jklpengilly

Cadet
so here is the problem.

I have a 1989 Bayliner trophy Bass 18 foot boat.

the motor is a 1970 Evinrude 115.

I have added the CMC power tilt and trim to this boat between the motor and transome.

my problem is that I am having the worst time getting a proper steering system designed or set up for this combo.

I have a teleflex type steering cable (orginal that was with old Force motor)

my evenrude is not a tilt-tube engine so I need to use a tube to attach the steering cable to the boat. I want to use the teleflex through transome 15 deg mounting like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tele...6454899QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

but the directions say that its for a splash well that is 30 inches or smaller. I have quite a wide splash well and there seems to be no place to mount a clamp block to with good results.

if I use the 15 deg kit that is in the ebay ad. is there anyway to lengthen the steering shaft to meet the motor or can I make the tiller arm on the motor come closer to the side of the splash well?

anyone have good pictures of what they have figured out.

thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: Need help with seting up steering.

You could probably get a piece of SS rod and make a tiller rod that will reach.

Just make sure it doesn't bind at either lock and won't bend.

jklpengilly

Cadet

i had thought about that. but how would I connect the steering (currently on boat) to the new extension piece to meet the motor.

my main concern is that its got to be ridgid enough to not bend.

I will post some pics tomorrow so i can get some ideas...

jklpengilly

Cadet

so I ordered a 90 deg splashwell kit from teleflex.

i am reading the directions online and it says its for a splash well of 30 inches. does this mean 30 inches from far left to far right. or are they talking that this measurement is from boat centerline to right side of splash well...

my other question is. I think this seat up will be perfrect for my boat but it looks as if the steering cable when fully extended out of tube will come up aobut 6 inch short to meet motor.

so is there a way to extend the steering cable (where it comes out of tube) I think they are all standard from the nut to the end.)

or should I build an extension and bolt it to the steering arm on the motor.

any pics of others doing this?

thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have too short of a steering cable.