Starter problem pleas help

bpsmooth

Recruit
Hello New to the forum.

I have read some of the starter problems and I cant find a solution to my problem yet. I have a Evenrude outboard on my pontoon 25 hp. Took it out of storage put the battery in that was purchased new last season and turned the key got one click noise and no start or starter turning. My lights work, that is all that I have as far as other items that would draw from the battery. So I put a charger on the battery and it siad it was charged. I removed the starter from the enging and put jumper cables on it from the boat battery and the starter spun but did not kick out. Being that my boat is up nort and I live in the city I took that starter home to my local rebuild shop and he stated that the magnets in the starter were brittle and broken. He replaced the starter with a new one and did tell me that my solinoid was fine. I havent put the starter back on as i havent been able to get back up north yet. But the question I have is why did in not turn at all on the motor when I turned the key but did with jumper cables on it. The shop said I did have a bad starter but im so afraid thats not the problem. Can anyone help or have gone through this as well. Thank you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter problem pleas help

We can't see your starter, wiring, solenoid or tell from your description whether you were lied to or not. You won't know that until you install the starter. Starters required a fully charged battery. They also require solid and clean battery cable connections. And they require a working solenoid and functional wiring between the ignition switch and the solenoid. So a failure anywhere along the line can cause a no start condition. Most of the time it is NOT the starter itself and sometimes it is. With the information we have, we, like you, simply don't know.

bpsmooth

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response. Ill find out next weekend when I go up and install it. Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I can troublshoot ok. I checked to make sure the gear shift was in neatural and that the (what I will call) saftey switch had its pin in it like a teather and that my cables were tightend with the wing nuts. Never had this problem in the past but Ive only owned the boat for two seasons this will be my third. Also when I turn the key i get a cherp I always have just never knew what it was. Can you tell me? Thanks again

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is an inline fuse near the starter solenoid. it controls the starter circuit. bet it is blown.

bpsmooth

Recruit

Thank you. I will check that as well. Going to work on it on the 10th.

bpsmooth

Recruit

Well Im up and running, but it comes with a story. Got up north friday night installed the starter and turned the key still no start. I put my volt meter on the batt it was fine and on the solinoid and it was fine but once the key was turned the volt meter went to zero. I checked all connections they looke good and tight. Saturday morning took in to the local boat repair and explained my story. He first noticed that my starter guy at home did not put my gear back on the starter, a different one was on there and didnt match my flywheel. He put the correct one on and tried to start my boat and had no luck. He did the whole volt meter test and then went to the batt. He took off my pos. cable and filed the terminal on the batt and put the cable back on and turned the key......................................Varoom it started. We then had the plugs changed and I had a leaky fuel line on the engine. My starter cost $130 and my boat shop repair came to $131. Its in the water and we went boating. Thanks for your respones prior.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get rid of the wing nuts, get real nuts.

bpsmooth

Recruit

I would but Im a weekender at my place and If I dont remove my battery and gas can someone who needs it more than I do will help themselves if I leave them on the boat all week without being there. So the wing nuts are quick but I guess I still could usa a wrench just as fast. Thanks again