1987 Bayliner Trophy steering quagmeyer

BAMORY

Cadet
Hey guys, got an interesting one here. I have a 1987 Bayliner trophy 21ft with 3.0 I/O hard top (no power steering). I have noticed since i bought it that the steering is tight and makes this groan when turned in either direction, went to investigate this year.

I disconnected the pin from the steering arm, the outdrive moved freely back and forth with no problem or groan.

While disconnected I turned the wheel, it also moved freely no groans, not tight.

I then hooked it back up @ the steering arm (outdrive), and disconnected cable and mount from the steering wheel shaft. I turned the outdrive back and forth, no groans, not tight.

While disconnected, turned the steering wheel, moved freely, no groans, not tight.

Greased everything up, put it back together......groaning and still tight.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I am very mechanically inclined so shoot anything at me. I will try to attach some pictures of my steering ends.

Thanks in advanced.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

BAMORY

Cadet
Re: 1987 Bayliner Trophy steering quagmeyer

Oh and the aft steering tube isn't bent, just the way the grease is on it, i had to just go look after i uploaded picture's. Everything moves freely as long as it is not all attached.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the cable is not binding in the aft tube, and the drive turns freely. You need a new helm and cable system. The cables get worn inside causing them to bind.
iboats has all different kinds of systems. I would sure go with the NFB (no feed back) system.

BAMORY

Cadet

And how would I find these??

BAMORY

Cadet

Popular consensus is that it is the cable. Not sure why it turns free when disconnected from one or the other, but is tight when all together. But will replace it, its pretty simple.