5.5 lower oil seals

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, jmk here, and I am changing the lower end seals on my 1964 5.5. Is there a seal for the shifter? I'm not seeing what will keep the water out of the area that the shift linkage goes through. There is a brass bushing it slides through, and the book shows how to drive that out of the caseing, but do I need to take that out if I don't have that part to replace? I feel like if I took it out I would just put it back, so why does the book tell me to drive it out? I do have one extra rubber o-ring that fits tight on the shift shaft, but it's not in the book, and I can't find where it goes. Do you put something in that shift linkage bushing like vasiline, or just count on the gear lube makeing that seal? All seals are accounted for but this o-ring. The seal kit doesn't show it with the contents here at iboats, but I bought the kit here, and it came with it. I just want to do the job right, and after all this work I want it to seal up. I never have done one before so maybe some of you guys that have could inlighten me on that area? Thanks, jmk

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 5.5 lower oil seals

There is an O ring, part number 301877, below the bushing!
I reckon that's the one you have if it's the right size.

It is shown on the parts diagram.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Part #20 is the bush and #21 the O ring. !

lindy46

Captain

Yup, you have to drive the brass bushing out to replace the o-ring. There is a special tool to do the job. See picture.

Attachments

• punch.JPG
    punch.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 0

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, now it makes sence why they want that bushing to be driven out. I hope it isn't that hard to drive out and in. The old seal on the propeller shaft was a real pain to get out without damageing the alluminum. Well, good now I will fell like I will be water tight. Thanks again, jmk.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

A way around needing that special tool, is to use a 5/16" tap. Simple tap 3 or 4 threads of a 5/16" 20NC into that brass bushing. Insert a 5/16" bolt and then either pull on the bolt or what I did was use a 1/4" rod and tapped at the bolt from the underside. The bushing came right out.