1988 mercury gamefisher 15hp

vulcan750

Recruit
I picked up this motor and was tuld it had no spark. i thought it was a coil, but it has no spark on either cylinder. i checked both kill switches they test fine. where do i start? He said it ran fine but never started again. It looks like new inside and out except a small ding in the edge of the prop.

hunterope

Seaman
Re: 1988 mercury gamefisher 15hp

Check the safety cord (red kill switch that is supposed to attach to your arm). It may not be pulled out far enough or the cord may be missing. Most of these motors don't go totally without spark. Also make sure your plug wires aren't swapped around. Top/bottom reversed. I had a similar exp with no spark on a friends motor. Swapped the top for the bottom and she fired right up. BRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. Other then that, start checking your wires for abrasions where it would ground out. Could be just a loose wire. Good luck and post up if you get her fired up..

dizzy_craig

Recruit

Just had this same problem with an '88 15hp merc. Ended up being the switch box. Found one on ebay for 108.00 plus shipping. Could also be the switch, or stator. You can check those with a multimeter, I did this by testing leads while someone else turned the key. Stator should put out about 250-400 volts ac. and the switch puts out a very light signal. One will be the brown/white, brown/yellow wires. The other will be the black/white, black/yellow wires that connect on the side of the switchbox. If they both are sending properly, and still no juice to the coils, then its the switchbox. Hope this helps...
Derrick.

vulcan750

Recruit

Once I got a puller to take the flywheel off ,I found the points had a white crust on them cleaned this off. It started on the third pull. Thanks for all your advice it was very helpful. Happy Boating.