advice on shaft conversion for a kicker motor

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I read recently that there are more standard shaft (15") than long and extra long shaft 9.9 and 15 hp outboards.
and as such that the long shaft motors should be more desireable

at least the extensions should be sought after.

i picked up a long shaft 15 hp, but really want a short shaft..it will be a kicker, but the way i have my bracket mounted, I only need a short shaft motor...

and since i will store the motor on deck and not drive around with it mounted on the kciker bracket...id like to keep it as light and compact as possible

so before i search out a short shaft to put on this motor...

does the forum think it would be wise to leave it as a long shaft and sell and try and buy a short shaft( and in essence make some money)

according to a link I found here...i could actually just cut and reweld my long drive shaft...

and cut the water pick up tube

or should i go through the effort to try and find short shaft pieces and do a complete swap out...and keep all the parts for a long shaft conversion together

thanks

bob

Re: advice on shaft conversion for a kicker motor

You could pay to have the shaft cut and welded (and straightened), but you'd still need to find a short shift shaft. The water tube can be cut of easily with a dremel and cut-off wheel.
If you're going to shorten it, find a good used short driveshaft and shift shaft, then trim the water tube.

You should be able to sell your long parts and break even.

Cutting a driveshaft isn't the best idea. Slight mis-alignment (IE BENT) from the welding will wear out your crankshaft splines, water pump/ housing, and needle bearings in the gearcase.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I have a shift shaft for a shorty I think.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I could cut and weld the shaft at work no problem, I could also just make a new shift shaft from scratch if i wanted to, that is easy...

I was just wondering if the forum thought the long shaft parts are desirable and needed to be saved..

I am sure i can wait around till i find the shorter parts.

you know there are things that a sometimes hard to find and you cringle when you see them chopped up for other parts...

just wondering if these types of parts were in that catergory.

bob

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well, the long shaft kit is what most people want and they seem to sell like hotcakes when posted, so you could sell what you have and buy the proper shaft.