Shift cable housing stuck inside my Bravo bellhousing

fishaman

Seaman Apprentice
I have exactly the same problem as was discussed in one of the previous threads:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=223562
The pictures in the old thread show exactly what I see in my bellhousing.

My (old style?) 1993 Bravo II shift cable threaded housing got stuck in bellhousing, and the front nut, as in the picture, broke off and spins freely. I have been able to just pull this nut (actually, broken off hexed part of the brass cable housing) off over the cable.

As I understand it, i need to drill out the remainder of the brass threaded part, but what do I do next? Do I need to rethread the hole? I have already ordered the lower shift cable, but it had not arrived yet. Does the new style cable have similar thread, or I can just slide it in the hole and tighten the nuts on both ends?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift cable housing stuck inside my Bravo bellhousing

The hole is not threaded in the Bravo bellhousing. They get corroded between the housing and the cable, and that is what is holding it in there.
Like I said in the other post, drill it out a little at a time and keep it as straight as possible, they usually come out after they bet thinner and weaker. It just takes time and care to get the old cable out without damaging the bellhousing.
If you go HERE you can download the OEM service manual for what ever year drive you have. It shows how the cable goes through the bellhousing.
Page 4A-21 in manual 11 shows a great picture of the old and new cables.

Fun Times

Staff member

I have exactly the same problem as was discussed in one of the previous threads:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=223562
The pictures in the old thread show exactly what I see in my bellhousing.

My (old style?) 1993 Bravo II shift cable threaded housing got stuck in bellhousing, and the front nut, as in the picture, broke off and spins freely. I have been able to just pull this nut (actually, broken off hexed part of the brass cable housing) off over the cable.

As I understand it, i need to drill out the remainder of the brass threaded part, but what do I do next? Do I need to rethread the hole? I have already ordered the lower shift cable, but it had not arrived yet. Does the new style cable have similar thread, or I can just slide it in the hole and tighten the nuts on both ends?
(FYI) If you ordered a new style shift cable from Mercruiser Then there is a chance you may need to drill out the bell housing just to fit the new shift cable.;)

fishaman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, feels better to know that I do not have to rethread the hole. So the only difference between the old and the new cable is the size of the brass tube, and the size of the hole in bell housing.
Does the seal between the front nut and the housing come with the cable, or it needs to be ordered separately?

Thanks,
Alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It all comes with a new OEM cable, not sure about the aftermarket stuff. They save money in the wrong places.

fishaman

Seaman Apprentice

Cable came in today (Sierra), and the seal is included. It's not really a seal, just a fiber washer.

As Don said, drilled out the old cable part starting small, and after the 3/8" bit it all came out as a cylinder with thin strip missing on one side. It was real easy and safe with the bellhousing out, drill press was my best investment over the last 3 years.

Have a strong urge to drill out the hole and press in an appropriate brass sleeve so I do not have to deal with it next time I change the cable...

zbnutcase

Commander

Just grease the heck out of it and you will be fine next time. 'nutcase