need help find a spring that hold frame

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice
older boat trailer that has the swing up frame doing a rebuild and need to find a spring that hold the frame from swinging up when not launching have had a hard time trying to located online

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help find a spring that hold frame

No make, year, model, and no picture. We can help you how? My only suggestion is to go to any mom & pop hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc and look at their spring selection. I have a hunch you have a tilt trailer that has a pin about 1/2 inch diameter that you pull to unlatch the tilt mechanism. Correct?? Then you need a stout spring XX inches long with an ID of about 5/8 inch. Some better auto stores like NAPA and farm stores (Fleet Farm, etc.) also have stuff like that. Best I can do for you.

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice

yeah sound like you hit a nail on the head exactly what it is didnt think you need the make and the stuff or i would of posted it but thanks for the reply but seems like you caught on pretty quick :) but still having a hard time online locating a spring like that and the local trailer store say it a online part making me think that maybe trailer manufactures quit making those type of trailers :confused: seeing how the trailer is from 1964

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice

for future people with this problem i have found it is called a spring loaded latch

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The description doesn't help with finding a spring. There are a gazillion spring manufacturers in this world. Do a goodle search for springs but save yourself some time and simply look locally. Marine stores will not likely carry it. Not many tilt trailers being made any more if any. You also don't need a spring that fits over the latch. You can use a strong extension spring with a hook at each end. Use your imagination. Actually, you don't even need to use the tilt feature. Back in and unload the boat. Tilting is not necessary which is why they are not made any more.