Using new style 350 heads on old block

steltenkamp

Cadet
First time posting anything on here. I have a 1978 Century 19ft runabout with a 260hp 350 cid. Picked up cheap and got running last summer. Had low compresson and burning oil so tore down for a fresh-in-up. This is when I found that I had some cracked heads and a broken compresson ring. So long story short! The heads my motor had were 462624 (witch I found are weak and have a common problem cracking at exhuast ports) The heads I have and want to use are 14102193 center bolts out of a 1994 chevy truck. The cc camber I think is the same, and the exhuast valves are stainless and intake are steel, just like the ones off the OE motor. I have built many motors in the past, but this is my first marine rebuild. My Question is this. CAN THESE HEADS BE USED? My guy doing the machine work thinks they would be a better head and would, but he's not done much work with marine motors being used in boats. He builds drag motors that use marine blocks. I know marine head gaskets have to be used and valves are stainless. The intake was being replaced anyway to added a fuel injection system, so the intake bolts are not a problem. This boat also will never see salt water. I am not looking to have a race boat, just one that is reliable and worry free. At this point the motor has to be boared .030 over and all but crank and rods are being replaced. (so much for just freshing up)! Any info will be helpfull. If I left something out please let me know.

steltenkamp

Cadet
Re: Using new style 350 heads on old block

Will try to get some pics up soon of by boat Cheap Thrills!

j_martin

Admiral

Welcome to Iboats.

This is the Mercury Outboard forum. Outboards are the ones that clamp onto the flat back of the boat. :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo & other I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives forum.

Bondo

Staff member

First time posting anything on here.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...
Hit the "Enter" key now,+ then,... Paragraphs make Readin' Much Easier...

The heads you've choosen are nothing special,...
I'd step up to Vortecs if I was building a fresh motor myself...

glennwolf

Seaman

The heads you chose will work but you will get much better power out of the Vortec heads.

John_S

Rear Admiral

If your engine has flat-top pistons, your old heads were probably 76cc and think the ones you are considering are 64cc. Vortecs are 64cc as well. Just be aware you might be bumping up the compression some.

Rat Capri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

#193 are swirl port heads, great for low end grunt but will run out of steam at 4,500rpms...and they do have 64cc combustion chambers

steltenkamp

Cadet

Sorry for the rambling was a long day! : ) Thanks for the info.

I would love to use Vortec heads but this is what i have to work with. My budget is tight for the rebuild.

I have to replace pistons so if the heads are going to put me in a 9.5 to 1 or 10 to 1 compression range may use a dished piston to keep using 89 octane gas.

I hurts filling the tank when on the lake! But the wife and I are hooked on being on the water, even if we have to paddle to the party coves! : )

Thanks again for the help and I'll try not to ask TOO many dumb questions, But learning everything the hard way!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

they will work fine but as stated above are not an upgrade in performance... do note the compression and build accordingly.... look at pullapart.com and see if there is one near you.... I think heads are like $18 each

late model vortechs really wake an engine up