5.7 Mecruiser/ Alpha 1 shift qurstion

T/A Hawk

Recruit
I have a 89' Wellcraft Eclipse with the 5.7L GM mercruiser with an Alpha 1. I know I have an adjustment problem with the shift cables. I can get it to go into forward but it just revs in reverse and vise versa.

I shifted it manually with the remote cable disconnected and it seemed like it had to go a long ways to shift. It worked great when I shifted it manually in the engine compartment. I was wonder how far the shift cable/ arm on the shift plate needs to move to get it into gear?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 5.7 Mecruiser/ Alpha 1 shift qurstion

Go to the ADULTS ONLY section at the top of this forum and download the manuals for your engine and drive... Should be #15 for the engine and #6 for the drive. All the information on shift cable travel and how to determine where (if at all) you are losing travel are covered.

Chris........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 Mecruiser/ Alpha 1 shift qurstion

If the control is not moving the lower cable enough, you could have a worn out cable, either one. They get a groove worn in them which makes for more movement, or the shift spool in the drive could be worn out.
If you download the OEM service manual #6 from the Adults only or DIY sticky ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342393 ) at the top of this forum, and go to pages 1C-38 thru 1C-42 igives you information on checking for excessive play.