Bearing help

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Ok guys, my new to me boat trailer has bad bearings. They rumble when I jack it up and spin the wheels. I am NOT particularly mechanically inclined. So dismantling the hub assembly and replacing them isn't really something that I'm interested in pursuing. If I were to buy 2 of the preloaded/pregreased hub kits from Northern, is it really as easy as popping off my bearing buddies, removing the cotter pin and castle nut, sliding the old hub off, sliding the new hub on, replacing the castle nut and cotter pin, reinstalling the buddies and shooting some grease in them. What am I missing?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bearing help

It's that easy, Just inspect everything before reassembling. The only thing i don't like about them (complete hub assembles) is the grease you add isn't the same brand as what comes with a complete hub. I just don't like mixing grease brands if possible but that just my preference and not a big deal to others.

nlain

Commander

It is that easy if you have drum brakes, if disc brakes you will probably have to unbolt the calipers, just one extra step.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. No brakes.

I have the same feeling on the grease but what can ya do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ummmm --- there is one little detail nobody mentioned and it happens to be very important. Adjusting the bearing preload. Ample information on the net. But you are going to get your hands nearly as dirty doing this job and not knowing how well the new hubs have been lubed so why not learn how to do this and save some money in the process. Again, there is ample information on the web. The only issue that may present a problem for you is if the races in the hub are bad. They need to be driven out and driven back in but again, the place you get the bearings can do that for you for a very minimal fee.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

i just purchased a complete axle.... i would assume those are ready to go too??? not this one...theres no preload at all on the bearings, all kinds of slop........ i will be repacking the bearings in it before i trust it was done correctly at a warehouse!!!
repacking or replacing the bearings is one of the easiest jobs of boating!!! just not the cleanest :/

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why don't you take the old hubs off, clean them up and install new seals, races and bearings? You will have to pack the bearings with the grease you want to use. Of course these days, it may be cheaper to buy the assemblies.
If you need a hand with the bearings and races let me know. I can help you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Why don't you take the old hubs off, clean them up and install new seals, races and bearings?

Because horrible things will happen if I do.

These are the hubs (generally, I have to determine exactly which model I need) http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200334722_200334722

I just read this: http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#pre-loadbearings
Easy. And I knew to do some of that anyway. So no problems there.

Then read this http://www.championtrailers.com/PREGREASED HUB INSTALLATION ARTICLE SECURED.pdf also sounds easy.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

taking a quick look on ebay, bearing and race kits are running about $15-20. May as well get the hubs.