Evinrude 60 water pumping problem

Recruit
EVINRUDE 60 3-cylinder 1994.

Last season, motor working fine. I have just serviced it and changed the water pump impeller, base plate and gasket & water pipe grommet as a precaution.

Now on starting I have a decent jet from the pee hole for 30 seconds or so, then it dribbles away to nothing. I also note water spraying out from the lower gearcase joint (where it joins the leg), and the hole at the front on the joint line - as if the lower unit is being pressurised.

Thinking I had got a bad joint between the pump and water pipe to the engine, I took it apart and made sure it was good (I had previously cleaned off some corrosion at the bottom of the pipe). Also checked the pump housing joint (new O-ring).

I also removed the pee pipe and back flushed it with compressed air to remove any blockages in the water passages.

On starting, no difference. I am running the motor in a tank which has enough water to cover the cavitation plate - same tank I use every year, same outboard.

Any suggestions?? All advice greatfully received - thank you!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 60 water pumping problem

Water escaping from the lower unit to exhaust housing joint area is normal and will clog with debris from within in time. You could have put some sealer on the top of the lower unit surface to seal that area but it's not necessary. Sealer is what used to be called OMC adhesive..... I don't know what Bombardier calls it.

Water just over top of the cavitation plate just doesn't do the job..... the water pump is out of the water and will draw air. The water level must be a few inches above the lower unit joint area..... enough to have the water pump submerged.

Recruit

Thanks for that advice. I'll try that. But, sorry to be obtuse . . . if the water pump has to be submerged, how does it work with the "earphone" hose attachment over the water intakes?

Another question - I removed the thermostat and put it in a pan of boiling water. Nothing happened. Am I right in assuming it should expand, similar to a car thermostat?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the flushette attached, the water pressure (garden hose) must be turned on full force. This forces the water into the water pump.

Yes, hot water should cause the thermostat to open.

Recruit

Thanks for all advice. Problem traced to blockage in plastic T-piece on exhaust manifold. New thermostat fitted too, side issue but I'm glad I found it in the process.
Hope your Florida weather is better than here in England!