Installing new prop

Sharkbite

Cadet
Hey guys I am getting a new prop for my Johnson 9.9 and as of now the nut that is on the shaft is not but up against the inside of the prop. I am woundering if it should be and if not how much spaces is needed between the prop and the shaft nut?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing new prop

grease the shaft when installing, the Nut should be snugged up, then backed of so you can get cotter pin in the hole.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to install the Thrust Bushing and the Thrust Washer, in addition to the Propeller Nut and Cotter Pin.

Sharkbite

Cadet

Be sure to install the Thrust Bushing and the Thrust Washer, in addition to the Propeller Nut and Cotter Pin.

do I have to replace them or can I use the ones that would be there as of now?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

do I have to replace them or can I use the ones that would be there as of now?

Usually you can reuse the thrust washers if you are buying a used prop. If you are buying a brand new prop from BRP they have changed the type of these washers and you will need new ones.

The newer thrust washers are thinner that the old ones to fit the new hub design.

Sharkbite

Cadet

Is that the rubber washer in the prop that breaks away if I hit something?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Is that the rubber washer in the prop that breaks away if I hit something?

I don't think that anything has changed. The parts are #46 and #54 in the diagram.

Attachments

• 1996 9.9 Prop.jpg
    1996 9.9 Prop.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dyn_shopping_cart.jpg
    dyn_shopping_cart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

ezeke said:
I don't think that anything has changed. The parts are #46 and #54 in the diagram.

Possibly not for that prop but they did change for mine. Mine is the 13 spline gearcase. When I bought the prop from the dealership they gave me the new bushing and washers and explained how they had changed.

The BRP parts are different than my original washer and bushing for my original omc prop.

Sharkbite

Cadet

So why do I have to replce these then? I can't just reuse them?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys I am getting a new prop for my Johnson 9.9 and as of now the nut that is on the shaft is not but up against the inside of the prop. I am woundering if it should be and if not how much spaces is needed between the prop and the shaft nut?

Who said replace? Just be sure to install them correctly.