Galvinized rims

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this should go under the trailer forum but I don't get the response's.Anyway my question is does anyone paint their galvinized rims on their trailers? Is this a tacky thing to do? If you have painted your rims can you post some pictures of them please.How are they holding up and what type of paint did you use?
Thanks!

~Leo

cr2k

Captain
Re: Galvinized rims

Painting would be counter productive. The galvanizing is a sacrificial metal.
So it would be kinda like painting the anodes on your boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Leo, It is difficult to paint galvanized steel. There are many Ford cars with peeling paint just below the windshield and on the hood, which is from painting over galvanized metal.

I would recommend you do some research. I expect the correct primer is the critical component.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

leave them alone, it shows you are a bright consumer.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys I kinda thought it was a waste of time. I thankyou for the input and I will NOT be painting my rims!!!!!!!!!!:D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

There is another option to have something a little custom and still have protection. I had my rims powdercoated. They blasted the rims and coated them with a dark (hammer finished) gray. Very custom, matched the boat, very protected from the water. Also very easy on the wallet. I think I paid about $40 a wheel for it.