2 yr old gas

jeffw0038

Seaman
Gonna be bringing home a boat i bought in a couple of weeks.
the gas in the boat is at least 2 yrs old, i'm sure i need to drain out the old gas.

Do i need to do this or do you think the gas is still ok too use?
I know it has fuel stabilizer in it. any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2 yr old gas

Gonna be bringing home a boat i bought in a couple of weeks.
the gas in the boat is at least 2 yrs old, i'm sure i need to drain out the old gas.

Do i need to do this or do you think the gas is still ok too use?
I know it has fuel stabilizer in it. any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff!

I don't want to come off as a nay-sayer, but are you sure that the gas was treated 2 years ago? I take it that you are going on what the seller is telling you...and there are a zillion stories here about the seller saying what the buyer wanted to hear.

Also...for Sta-Bil (and any other brand) to work it has to go in when the gas is first added, and will have no effect if added much later.

To be safe...and to avoid having fuel related repairs...I would drain as much out as possible, and top off with fresh gas.

Happy boating!

P.S. I should have said that an inline water/fuel seperator filter is the best guarantee that you will be boating this summer, instead of chasing fuel issues!

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is there anyway you can add some good gas to the tank to mix with the stabilized old gas? That's the route I'd go IF it's a built in tank.
More info on the boat would be helpful. What kind of boat and with what power package?

jeffw0038

Seaman

Thought that would be the best bet. Ok now where can i dispose of the old fuel? maybe try to use it in old lawn mower!

jeffw0038

Seaman

Yeah its a I/O 5.0 omc. Not sure how much fuel is in it at the moment.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would drain it myself simply to make sure it has not gathered water from condensation getting in the tank!!!

jeffw0038

Seaman

I bought it from a family friend, very trustworthy. said all gauges and everything is in good working order. If i remember correctly he said it's almost full, witch is about 26 gallons or so! Gonna have to buy several gas cans i suppose!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would drain it myself simply to make sure it has not gathered water from condensation getting in the tank!!!

A good idea is to fill a glass jar with a sample once you drain it and let it sit..... IF there is water it the fuel you should be able to see it separate after about 30 minutes to an hour.

BTMCB

Congrats and welcome. Based upon the nature of your question, I assume you bought the boat without a test drive / running on the muffs? If so, IMHO I would drain the tank entirely and hope you have no further issues with the engine. Good luck!

jeffw0038

Seaman

Yeah sounds like i'm gonna get to have a big ol bonfire in the back yard!!!!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah sounds like i'm gonna get to have a big ol bonfire in the back yard!!!!

LOL!

It was nice knowing you, the short time that you were here!

Do what many others do...add about 5 gallons to the car/truck ever so often. Autos have the necessary computer controls to burn old gas easily...especially if the old gas is introduced in small amounts.

And like you said...your lawn mower would probably run on spit.

Happy boating!

jeffw0038

Seaman

LOL!

It was nice knowing you, the short time that you were here!

Do what many others do...add about 5 gallons to the car/truck ever so often. Autos have the necessary computer controls to burn old gas easily...especially if the old gas is introduced in small amounts.

And like you said...your lawn mower would probably run on spit.

Happy boating!

Especially with gas prices now a days! good idea to run in my truck a little here and there. Hate too waste it.

Pierutrus

I bought it from a family friend, very trustworthy. said all gauges and everything is in good working order. If i remember correctly he said it's almost full, witch is about 26 gallons or so!

Hold on now......IF everything above is correct. Just go top off the tank and change out the fuel/water seperator and go for it.

A good idea is to fill a glass jar with a sample once you drain it and let it sit..... IF there is water it the fuel you should be able to see it separate after about 30 minutes to an hour.

That is so true.......

Pierutrus

So much for my bonfire!...lol

If you've got the time and the money......

I like to be naked at my bonfires.......

Chick's only, of course.....

Chuckling is kept to the minimum ........:redface:

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd take a sample and check it for water. No water - top it off with new gas and let it go. I'd stay within sight of shore for a bit, but I've done this before.