Does a 1996 115 Evinrude have an o-ring

GDT

Cadet
at the top of the drive shaft below the splines? I changed my impeller and when I removed the lower unit there was no o-ring on the shaft. I did not see a groove where an o-ring would go either.The Seloc manual says "if used" place the o-ring at the top of the drive shaft. I did put molly lube over the splines upon reassembly and I'm just wanting to make sure that I did this the correct way. Thanks in advance for any advice.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does a 1996 115 Evinrude have an o-ring

The newer motors have the o-ring seal in the crank as shown in MAW31's picture.
attachment.php

GDT

Cadet

Was I supposed to replace this? Thanks for you reply.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Should not need to. Be sure to use appropriate lube on the driveshaft splines.

GDT

Cadet

One more thing if you don't mind. After I replaced the water pump and ran my motor on muffs there seems to be much more water draining from all lower unit hole and it seem to drain for a long time after stopping the engine. I ran it on the lake at WOT and it seemed to run fine and I had 30+ psi showing on my pressure gauge. I also have an overheat warning and it did not go off. This is my first impeller change and I am a little gun shy.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One more thing if you don't mind. After I replaced the water pump and ran my motor on muffs there seems to be much more water draining from all lower unit hole and it seem to drain for a long time after stopping the engine. I ran it on the lake at WOT and it seemed to run fine and I had 30+ psi showing on my pressure gauge. I also have an overheat warning and it did not go off. This is my first impeller change and I am a little gun shy.
normal.those ninties hold a fair amout of water in them and takes a while to drain.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

normal.those ninties hold a fair amout of water in them and takes a while to drain.

how can you tell he has a 90 degree motor???

dont the 60 degree motors have the same seal in the crank opening??

bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not reading his mind, but perhaps he was referring to 1990's ???

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if your getting 30psi and a good streem of water comming out of your pee tube you might want to ck your thermostats sounds like they are clogged up, they are located on the back of the motor