when flushing on muffs.....

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
when flushing on muffs are you supposed to trim down your drive? some one told me it was hard on the ujoints or something to have it in trailored position....also does it hurt anything running on muffs for say 15 min at idol....i dont get to get out but once or twice a month and i want to run her at least once a week to keep everything fresh so i dont have any problems on the water.... thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: when flushing on muffs.....

wether on a trailer or on the water you do not want to start the engine when the drive is even near it's trailer position, it is hard on the ujoints as you guessed. The closer to full down the better.

But who doesn't love a little porpoising every once in a while :)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely not good to run in the trailered position...way too much strain on the u-joints.

As for 15 minutes on the 'muffs'--that shouldn't pose any problems, as long as you are staying with the boat and keeping your eye on the temperature. I say that because I had a piece of rubber washer travel down my hose and block the water to the muffs...if I hadn't been in the boat I would have toasted the impeller. Others have posted that their muffs slipped out of position while running....

Happy boating!

Philster

Captain

Same rules apply on the trailer as in the water:

You have to run the blower. You have to stay with the boat and know the status of everything, and you have to be kind to the drive and keep it down. Watch everything. Don't rev it.

There are all sorts of "I did something dumb when I was running my boat on the muffs" stories.

Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, the dumbest is usually not running the blower. I've heard a few explosions, drove by and saw the charred remains of the boats, and -- so far -- not charred bodies. Just heard stories of guys getting launched about 50 feet.

Running a boat is nice, and it probably keeps the plugs happy, but the most important thing is to keep the fuel treated!

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info....never thought about running the blower when it on the muffs....guess i have been lucky.....i have ran it in trailor position a few times just idling on the muffs for maybe 5 or 10 minutes...ya think i did any damage

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the drive and look, the ujoints may have hit the edge of the transom shield where the bellows attaches, and may have damaged the bellows.

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok...don you just went way over my head...can you direct me to a good thread about how to do this....i here guys on here talk about bad bellows alot, but i dont know what they are or there purpose. its an alpha drive

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

can you direct me to a good thread about how to do this....

Ayuh,... Right at the Top of this forum,... Titled "Adults Only",...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

thanks for the info....never thought about running the blower when it on the muffs....guess i have been lucky.....i have ran it in trailor position a few times just idling on the muffs for maybe 5 or 10 minutes...ya think i did any damage

Any time you are going to start her up, run the blower. Period!
No if's, and's or kabooms