storing boat on dolly.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm thinking of getting a dolly for winter layup next year. I have a garage that will fit the boat, just not on the trailer.Would like to have it indoors to tinker in the off season. I came across a dolly, one piece with four bunks(two on each side). Cant tell the legth of the bunks, look to be two feet at most. Has wheels on each corner
Question is has anybody ever used one and was it a big issue getting the boat on it. Also, would the four bunks be enough support, so as not to cause any hooks or other issues with the hull? Boat in question is 19 foot,2300lb dry weight. Dolly is rated for 3600lbs.

cr2k

Captain
Re: storing boat on dolly.

I would hope the bunks are set under the stringers then no worrs on hooks or warping the hull.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

To me, it seems like a lot of boat to dismount from the trailer onto a dolly; and then jockey around. I wouldn't want to hassle with it twice a year. Maybe you're young and strong though :)

Is there a way to mount a swing-away tongue on the trailer, instead? Or, can you dismount the boat directly onto cement blocks and supports that you set up inside the garage? One less step, and would save you the cost of the dolly.

My .02

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To me, it seems like a lot of boat to dismount from the trailer onto a dolly; and then jockey around. I wouldn't want to hassle with it twice a year. Maybe you're young and strong though :)

Is there a way to mount a swing-away tongue on the trailer, instead? Or, can you dismount the boat directly onto cement blocks and supports that you set up inside the garage? One less step, and would save you the cost of the dolly.

My .02

Thought about the blocks, but the issue I'd have is overhead clearance. Boat is just under seven feet on the trailer. Theres a crossbeam in there that would def be in the way by a few inches. Maybe some smaller trailer tires would do the trick. The dolly runs about $350 which isnt so bad i guess. Though I'm thinking you're right about the hassle of getting it on and off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Single or dual axle trailer?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Then I would think swapping in smaller wheels or tire-less wheels would definitely be less hassle than switching the boat over to a dolly.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hawk,

Assuming you are on a concrete floor, I would put the trailer axle(s) on two supporting blocks of wood (8"x8"x4" minimum size) that ride on heavy duty casters. Put a deep groove on the top of the block to keep them under the axle(s) when moving and use at least three casters on the bottom of each block. Cut up a 4" x 4" and glue and screw the segments together to make the platform. Get the casters from Harbor Freight.

Jack up an axle end, remove the tire and lower it onto the block. This should give you at least a drop of several inches (4 to 6") and give you clearance overhead. Moving it into the garage should not be a problem assuming you can use the tow vehicle to push it.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Last edited:

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hawk,

Assuming you are on a concrete floor, I would put the trailer axle(s) on two supporting blocks of wood (8"x8"x4" minimum size) that ride on heavy duty casters. Put a deep groove on the top of the block to keep them under the axle(s) when moving and use at least three casters on the bottom of each block. Cut up a 4" x 4" and glue and screw the segments together to make the platform. Get the casters from Harbor Freight.

Jack up an axle end, remove the tire and lower it onto the block. This should give you at least a drop of several inches (4 to 6") and give you clearance overhead. Moving it into the garage should not be a problem assuming you can use the tow vehicle to push it.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH
That sounds like a pretty good idea too. Thanks