Mercury Black Max

trout-dink

Cadet
Ok I am new to forum and not sure if I'm looking in the right place?

Anyhow I have been looking at fish N ski boats in AZ. I want a four stroke, however it seems I get a much better deal on older 2 stroke motors. Does anyone own or have advise about mercury black max 1995 200 HP? It is on an astro S20 F/S.

thanks

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury Black Max

Mercs are generally a good engine. Any quirks about the running will be found soon after you take it out. If it sat unused for long you can expect some troubles but the best thing to do is get a shop manual and read through it. Then do a general tune up with Linc and sync. Compression testing and lower unit pressure checks are first.

Enjoy!!!

j_martin

Admiral

They are very solid and reliable, but like any high performance machinery, if you ignore little problems they can become very big, very soon.

A 2 cycle engine has half the parts of a 4 cycle engine. Designing one would blow your mind, but fixing one is a snap.

hope it helps
John

trout-dink

Cadet

A little more info. 211 hrs. Second owner 35 hrs since purchased two years ago. How much does a compression test cost? He is asking 6300?

Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Motors worth 2500-3500 if it's running and in good condition. Get a compression and leakdown test done on it before you buy it. 95 was a good year according to the info I have. Shop rates run anywhere for 45-95 per hour. It's about an hour of shop time to have it done.

j_martin

Admiral

leakdown test ?

Measures the actual leakage past the rings with the piston sitting still. Better than compression test because you can test different parts of the cylinder wall and it doesn't depend on good battery and starter motor for results. It's done with compressed air and 2 gauges.

hope it helps
John