Reman carb on the way

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
My 4 bbl Holley has seen better days. I invested in a reman from Flying Fish. My question is how much tinkering do you think it will need once installed? Will it fire right up or will I have to get pissed at it?

Attachments

• P1010305r.jpg
    P1010305r.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Reman carb on the way

My question is how much tinkering do you think it will need once installed?

It doesn't need any "Tinkering" which I consider moving and adjusting things with out a clue as to what it is or what it does. What it will need, is final idle mixture and idle speed adjustment once installed and running.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Good to know and thanks. Moving and adjusting things without knowing what they do is my specialty :D.

I'm hoping it comes with some instructions.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

It won't come with instructions on how set it up. Here is a brief explanation.

1. Mount the carb and disconnect the throttle linkage.
2. turn your idle mixture screws all the way in until lightly seated, then back out 1 1/2 turns
3. start the motor... may take a couple of tries as the fuel bowl will be empty. It doesn't hurt to pour an ounce or so of fuel down the venturi before you crank it
4. back down the idle speed screw to obtain your lowest obtainable idle without stalling.
5. check your base idle ignition timing and adjust if necessary.
6. let the motor warm up, and let the choke fully open before you touch anything else. 5 to 10 minutes depending on the outside temp and the cooling water temp.
7. start backing out each idle speed screw 1/4 turn and give it 20 seconds or so for the motor to respond.
8. as your backing out the screws, the rpms will start to rise, then you will get to a point when they start to drop. Note that screw position, this is full rich. Next slowly screw in the idle mixture screws.
9. keep screwing in until the rpms stumble a bit, this is full lean.
10. set your mixture screws half way inbetween the full rich and the full lean position.
11. set your idle speed with the idle speed screw untill your at proper idle rpms and proper idle ignition timing, you will have to double check the timing when at proper idle rpms.
12. Do the idle speed adjustment with the boat in the water in foward gear. If you can't, and your on the garden hose, set it 50-100 rpms higher than spec, but double check it the first time you get the boat on the water.

That's all there is to it. Just another 12 step program :)

On a side note... If you troll alot, adjust the mixture screws a bit towards the lean side on the mixture screws. If you pump and dump the throttle all the time, give them more of a turn to the rich side.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

UPS dropped it off yesterday. Always surprising how heavy a 4bbl is. She's a beauty. Thanks all for your help. I'l update after it's on.