OMC Starter Questions and pulling Stringer Engine

I have a 1980 Stringer with a Chev 350. The starter and/or the flywheel are not to be getting along. the starter has found a bad spot on the flywheel and sometimes I have to turn the crank by hand a little to find a spot on the ring gear that the starter can engage.

First i will try a new starter, I need one anyway, to see if that helps. Maybe new teeth on the starter will have enough bite to turn past a bad spot on the flywheel. Hopefully that works. If not I must pull the engine.

It looks like the Stringer engines can be pulled without pulling the lower unit and int housing. Is this true, if so, can someone direct me to a "how to pull and Stringer" tutorial. I am a decent mechanic.

What flywheel size and number of teeth does this thing have ?

Is it definitely 168 teeth but what diameter. Better yet what starter part number?

Any definite answers would be great appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

WizeOne

Commander
Re: OMC Starter Questions and pulling Stringer Engine

....It looks like the Stringer engines can be pulled without pulling the lower unit and int housing. Is this true, if so, can someone direct me to a "how to pull and Stringer" tutorial. I am a decent mechanic......

Quite true. Just remove all the bolts to the intermediate bell housing and pull away. You should support the outdrive as that and the IH will be hanging off the IH mounts.

Many times, the drive shaft somewhat siezes to the coupler. You're going to have to persuade it to come apart if this occurs.

I don't know about all the chebby starter and flywheel particulars 'cause I am a Ford OMC guy but unless you have missing teeth on the flywheel a little chewing up of the teeth should not cause your problem.

Bondo

Staff member

What flywheel size and number of teeth does this thing have ?

Is it definitely 168 teeth but what diameter. Better yet what starter part number?

Ayuh,... You need a Ring Gear, Not a Flywheel...
Napa will sell you a new 1 for under $50...

You also need the staggered bolt pattern starter...

Thanks for the info guys. Pulling the engine sounds pretty simple.

The starter thing ....hmm..right now it has a starter with the bolts "straight across from each other...not staggered. I kinda hope the block has both bolt patterns 'cause the indside bolt hole is stripped, another reason to pull this engine.

I really enjoy working on boats but it's salmon season right now.