1996 Evinrude 88 SPL

guys -
I have a 1996 Evinrude SPL.
I have tested three different batteries with this engine.
Using all three batteries, the starter spins but does NOT force the gear from the starter up into the flywheel at the top of the motor.
The starter gear spins but does not raise up to meet the flywheel.
Any ideas ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Evinrude 88 SPL

The shaft and gear need to be very, very clean - no grease or heavy oil of any kind. A coupler of drops of sewing machine oil - max. The OE oil for that is mostly mineral oil.

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had 2 different starters for my 96 88SPL. Once i swapped springs, and found the tension on 1 sping to be much stronger than the other, thus keeping the gear from rising.

Guys -
I appreciate the ideas.
It does spin on it's own when I hit the ignition.
I can raise the gear up by hand. It's not stuck.
It does spin and doesn't seem to be stuck in any way. It just doesn't lift up on it's own, when you hit the igintion.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Black negative cable bolted to the engine block? Positive cable to large post on the starter solenoid?

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice

I've had the same problem before. Replaced the starter and a few months later it started doing it again. Turned out to be that the battery cables were bad.

GatorMike

Ensign

I've had the same problem before. Replaced the starter and a few months later it started doing it again. Turned out to be that the battery cables were bad.

I was fixin to post the same thing. If that starter is not spinning fast enough it will not rise enough to engage. I struggled with my starter and batteries and cleaning wires for months. One day I decided to replace the battery cables. The positive cable was burnt almost into inside the insulation. I would have never known it untill I went to pull the wire out and the end came off in my hand.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Probably not enough power getting to the starter; if you have a good DC voltmeter you can do a voltage drop test to find the resistance. You may be able to locate the resistance by touch from the heat after trying to start.

As hobiecat indicated, the problem often is the battery cables because they corrode inside the sheathing.