Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

nitro24

Cadet
I have a 1997 Mercury 200 EFI that I recently purchased. Ever since I've had it, when you take off and give it wide open throttle (WOT), it would pause at 2,000 RPM's for a second or two and then take off. Now the problem is getting worse and sometimes it pauses for 10-15 seconds before taking off and sometimes it will just hang at 2,000 RPM's indefinitely even though throttle is wide open.

As the problem is occurring, I can pull it back to neutral and rev the motor with no problem throughout the RPM range and its very snappy. But then I can immediately put it back in gear and it continues to hold at 2,000. Once it does take off, it runs great and I can slow down or speed up as long as I don't come all the way back to idle.

Any thoughts??

nitro24

Cadet
UPDATE: Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

UPDATE: Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

Performed spark and compression tests today. Spark was good. Compression was 90, 100, 95, 92, 95, 100.

I noticed that one of the coils on the stator looks burned out (black and not as tightly wound). I've posted photos here.

Can this one coil be fixed or do I have to replace the whole thing? What's the process of replacing it? I've read that I need a special puller to remove the flywheel.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

same thing just happened to me - well end of last fishing season ,, stator is breaking down after about a month or 2 of this happening it finally had no high speed - it also damaged the switchbox .

nitro24

Cadet
Re: UPDATE: Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

Re: UPDATE: Acceleration Delays at 2,000 RPM's

As an update... I replaced the stator but the acceleration problem hasn't changed. I taken the vapor seperator tank off to inspect the electrical fuel pump and also visually inspected the mechanical fuel pump. Both look fine. Last time I was on the water my voltage gauge was reading high while on place, sometimes 15-17 volts. I'm going to check voltage at the battery next time out to verify if this was correct.

Still don't know if its a fuel or electrical problem. Any thoughts???