Treated plywood on new Starcrafts?

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I visited the Starcraft site and noticed on their detailed construction that they are using TREATED plywood on their new model aluminum boats. I have read many no-no's from fellow Starcraft projectors that say do not use it. Are you guys referring to the "older" treated plywood or the "newer" style pressure treated plywood that is salt cured? I am about to put a floor in my 16' Super Sport and I do not want troubles with interactive materials. Anyone successfully used the "new" salt treated plywood without harm?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Treated plywood on new Starcrafts?

First Ive heard of salt treated. Stay away from the Ac2 treated, thats the wood with the high copper content.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

their term treated plywood could mean something different than what we all think of as treated plywood from our local hardware store.
I would with marine plywood, it uses waterproof glue and has very few voids if there is a void it is small. Price is spendy but you get what you pay for.

fishcrazy50

Seaman Apprentice

When I spoke to the factory a couple of years ago looking for information when restoring my 86 MR210, the people I spoke with said they use Thompson's. That explained why the wood was rotting out, especially the transom which is 3 piece instead of one. I used West System on the new wood I put in. We have a good lumber yard where I live. I used 1/2" outdoor deck grade for the deck after spending $$$ for 3/4" marine grade for the transom ( 2 pieces sandwiched together with West System glue and screws). The difference is number of voids. The outdoor grade I found had only a few very small ones that I could find. Both use the same waterproof glue. The difference is voids. I would avoid the large box stores offerings of deck grade plywood as it's probably full of voids.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

"salt treated" plywood refers to copper salts which is death to the aluminum hull.

Exterior grade sealed up with polyester resin or epoxy resin will last you longer than the original.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Why would a Large Mfg. Like Starcraft use a wood that is corrosive to an Aluminum Hull??? I would want to see a factory statment that there new floors are. short term .in lasting ability. The 16 S/S that I purchased had the origional floor and material. It lasted 32 years with a lot of previous owner neglect. My 22 Holiday is all origional and 35 years old. Solid as a rock and no rot that I am aware of. I truly feel that Restoration is fine and every thing new is good. But I think a lot of folks tear down a very good boat just to have it look new again. Yikes ! I don"t mean to offend anyone but If I restored my 22 Holiday just because I could I would be a dam fool. And a lot poorer. Summer is near. Enjoy.

Last edited: