Do You know who your "Friends" are?

PaulHolcomb

Cadet
My dad was just finishing a weekend long fishing tournament with some guys that work for him. They all chose to take along my Dad's classic 66 Chevy to pull the boat to the tournament. While my dad docked the boat and went to get the truck, no one else seemed to think that maybe they should help him out, instead they just sat there and waited for him. He backs the trailer down, puts the truck in neutral(manual transmission), pushes the emergency brake down to the floor, and since no one would help get the boat onto the trailer, my dad get's out of the truck and walks around to the passenger side to hook the boat and crank it onto the trailer. Well, the 1966 era emergency brake decided to fail at this time, as the truck rolled backwords down the very steep ramp. My dad runs to the passenger door and finds it locked! He then runs around to the Driver side and jumps in as the water is now covering the bench seat and starting to reach to bottom of the window that is up all the way. He was able to crank the window down enough to make it out in time and watch his pride and joy sink to the bottom of the Lake. Meanwhile, the boat, that is connected to the trailer winch cable still keeps the trailer floated enough to let the diver's know where they can find the truck. The so-called friends in the boat sat and waited for someone to come and get them, instead of jumping out and helping!! A few hours later, a portable crane, a dive crew, a flatbead truck, a rental pickup to pull the boat home, a few thousand dollars, and quite the headache later!!! Dad had his truck home and running within a week, after extensive engine draining and fuel tank cleaning. I think if you ask my dad, he'll tell you that he'd rather you forgot to place the plug into the boat at the ramp still, instead of losing everything else.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do You know who your "Friends" are?

I hope the (freinds) boat crew had to walk home!

ebbtide176

Commander

yeah i think i'd rather take on a little water in the boat than take on alot of water in the vehicle. but at least he got it running again.

495v

Chief Petty Officer

Were these "friends" experienced boater's? If they are not, they are in a ****ed if you do or ****ed if you don't situation. What would have happened if they did help and ended up screwing up something else, even though it couldn't have been any worse than what happened. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. How's the Chebby now-a-day's?

PaulHolcomb

Cadet

The chevy is long since gone now. After about 6 months of problems with it after the "FLOOD", dad sold it to an older gentleman who, last I heard, was using it to haul hay. Dad bought a Ford to replace it. He heard you were more probable to have problems on the road with a ford than in the water!!!