99 fast strike 115 starting issues

jjtpwylie

Recruit
doesnt turn over very well put brand new marine starting battery in today, had it on a 10 amp trickle charge till full charge and it still acts like the battery doesnt have enough power to crank the engine. Could this be a bad battery or some other issue with the starter solenoid

fireman57

Captain
Re: 99 fast strike 115 starting issues

Check and clean ALL your connections especially the grounds. If it still turns over slow spray a little wd40 on the starter shaft, might just need a little lube. If the wd40 makes it spin faster then put a few drops of light oil on the shaft. I steal some sewing machine oil from my bride.

jjtpwylie

Recruit

i had to crank it over a lot longer than normal this year when i got it out of storage, so much that i ran the old battery down until it wouldnt crank anymore could this have damaged the starting components from excessive cranking. All the cable terminals and wiring look good, this has got me stumped.

GatorMike

Ensign

I'm not a mechanic but I will give you an unprofessional opinion on what I would do.
Even though you say the connections look good I would still clean all electrical connections between the battery and starter real good. If this doesn't do it since you say your battery is brand new I would suspect the starter. I would use a set of jumper cables to jump directly from the battery to the starter, if it turns over fine that way you may want to replace your boat cables. If it doesn't turn over good that way I would pull the starter off and replace the brushes or if you don't feel confident doing that take it and have it rebuilt.

fireman57

Captain

Are you saying that the starter spins normally but the engine doesn't fire as soon as you would like?