Windlass?

searay-bob

Cadet
I have a 1989 Searay 340SD and I need to replace the anchor line. Now mine dosen't have a chain on it and some of the ones I have looked at didn't have a chain on them. Can you put a line on with a chain or is this type just able to use rope only? Also what is involed with replacing the line? Do you have to take the windlass apart?
Thanks
Bob:cool:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Windlass?

You should have chain on the anchor rode. If you go with a chain/line combo, the usual estimate is to mirro the amoun of chain with the length of vessel (20' boat = 20' chain). Be aware though, that this can change depending on the source of information, area that you're boating in, type of vessel being anchored, weather, etc. I would consider equal length a good starting piont.

The purpose of the chain is to keep the shank/shaft of the anchor lying flat against the sea floor or lake bottom. This helps in keeping the flukes buried deeply in the bottom.

Depending on the type of windlass you have, they are usually configured with chain link cut-outs (for lack of the best term) at the bottom of the spool. Above that. there is a stairstepped pulley which can accomodate various diameter of line. If you Google the model of windlass, you will get the recommended size chain link and rode diameter to use for your windlass.

Replacing the line is pretty striaghtforward. You shouldn't have to do anything like taking the windlass apart. Some have a "claw" apature that holds the line against the spool, but that just lifts up. Remove the old line, run the new line through the windlass (most have a freespool setting). Don't forget, somewhere at the end of the line, it is secured to the boat so that is doesn't totally disappear when playing itself out.

dumy1

Cadet
Re: Windlass?

You should have chain as part of your rode. The chain keeps your anchor line at a lesser angle than only the line will, therefore having a much better chance of not pulling loose from the bottom. Some folks recommend the chain to equal 1/2 your boat length. I like more. On my previous boat (a 34' Searay sedan bridge) I had 50' of chain ahead of the 200' line and a 35lb CQR anchor. Present boat-a 25' Rosborough- I still have the 50' of chain. I would not anchor overnight without ample ground tackle.
As to the windlass-some handle line only and some handle both. Most modern windlasses are built to handle both.
Surely at the marina where you keep your boat someone can tell you what your windlass will handle.
Good luck & have a good boating season.
Ron