Side mounted shifting vs. valve cover shifting

trevtt600

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. Here is my dilemma. I am replacing my 3.0 mercruiser which currently has the valve cover mounted shifting. I have been having problems with the shifting out of foward and reverse even after a new shift cable and following the adjustment procedures.
The new to me motor I just bought has the side mounted shifting on the manifold. I was going to switch out my manifold off my old motor to the new motor, but my manifold of the old motor does not have the mounting points for side mounted shifting. Im thinking about just switching the manifold and the valve cover off my old motor to the new motor and using the old shifter hardware.
My questions is, with my old motor having shifting problems, im a little nervous using the same shifting hardware. Im thinking that the shift interrupter switch is bad on my old motor. I could just switch the two interrupter switchs and hope the solves my shifting issues. What do you think i should do?
I was also thinking of just buying a new manifold with the side mounting points and swapping the hardware over. Ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Side mounted shifting vs. valve cover shifting

that shift panel doesn't care where, or how it's mounted. It could hang in the air and work the same. So that is not your problem, unless your cable from the control or the drive has too sharp a bend.
What kind of problems are you having. You may be looking in the wrong area.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If you're swapping in a different motor,..
Swap the Whole Thing, hook everything up, Wire it properly,+ Try it...
Swap the cables to the new switch plate,... No need to mix 'n match for nothin'...
The cables should reach to either location...

trevtt600

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bond-O the thing is I do not trust the manifold thats on the engine. I know that mine is good from my old engine and that is why i wanted to switch them out. But if i do that, then i have to switch the valve cover also, because my manifold does not have the mounting holes for the shift hardware.
I found a manifold that will work with the new engine, just swap out the manifold and everything else bolts up. Its $180.00 new with all the gaskets. Should i just go that way? then i know my whole cooling system is new. My riser is new from last fall.
Thanks for your help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You can swap it out anyway you'd like,...
If the old manifold is in good shape, Go ahead,+ swap it with the valve cover...

Your shifting problems sounds like the shift switch was disconnected, or otherwise inoperable...