New boater! PLEASE HELP!!!

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have a small problem Im switching over a motor and it looks like they had the previous motors battery cables hooked to the motor wrong, they had the red wire grounded and the black wire connected to is what i believe is a solenoid, is that correct and if not what do i do, I thought the positive wire would run to the solenoid and the negative Should be groundedso all I really need to know is which wire is connected to the solenoid it is a 1962 40hp Johnson

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New boater! PLEASE HELP!!!

Ahoy, Ronn.

Welcome to iboats. :)

If they hooked up both ends wrong it would be no problem, but I agree that the red + cable goes from the battery + terminal to the solenoid and the black - cable goes from the battery - terminal to the engine block.

You didn't mention how the cables (wires) were attached to the battery.

Just a note: You will get a lot more help quicker if you state your problem or question in the topic. Shouting HELP tells us nothing we didn't already know.

Good luck. :)

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hey guys I have a small problem Im switching over a motor and it looks like they had the previous motors battery cables hooked to the motor wrong, they had the red wire grounded and the black wire connected to is what i believe is a solenoid, is that correct and if not what do i do, I thought the positive wire would run to the solenoid and the negative Should be groundedso all I really need to know is which wire is connected to the solenoid it is a 1962 40hp Johnson

I think the battery only runs the starter on that vintage....probably does not have an alternator either., not the ignition.
Even if it was connected in reverse, those starters should turn correctly.
I think it is "no harm no foul".

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot for all of your help you guys are great

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Probably wouldn't hurt to make the wiring correct, though...:)