Need Help wiring a 3 position ignition switch to a 1962 40hp Johnson

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice
Im brand new to this and I bought an old boat last year the motor didnt work so i bought an old 40 hp johnson now i have wire it to a differant type of ignition there are 10 wires but it only looks like 3 are connected to the motor 1 Black, 1 Grey, 1 Brown and theres 1 red/purple, 1 Purple, 1 Purple/Green, 1 Blue, 1 Green, 1 White and 1 Purple/White that are not connected at all. are these wires even connected properly and if so which wires go where in my 3 position ignition switch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help wiring a 3 position ignition switch to a 1962 40hp Johnson

Use google go to mastertech marine there are some color codes and diagrams.
I can tell you the motor ignition is self generating magneto ign.There is a kill circuit only going to the ignition the off position on the switch grounds the point wires.
There is a starter solinoid wire and a choke wire If it is a outboard key switch it usually pushes in to activate the choke and will have a terminal for the kill circuit.
Sorry I can't be more specific but you may be able to figure it out from here.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at this thread. I explain in detail how to make it work. (towards the middle.)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=381307

OK so your wire colors are different. I described each wire on the power-head and where they connect and where they go.

If you have an electric choke instead of a temperature sender like I have on my "new to me" 62' 28hp Johnson. I used my lt-brown wire, connected it to the choke then ran it through to a lighted toggle switch powered by the the acc terminal and grounded by the lt-gray "unused ground" from the solenoid box.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You cannot use a three (3) terminal ignition switch on that engine. Purchase the six (6) terminal ignition switch.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You cannot use a three (3) terminal ignition switch on that engine. Purchase the six (6) terminal ignition switch.

You can if you have a second normally open switch to kill it.
But you're right. It's not the best way to go.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Capt Ron..... Is that 1962 40hp an electric shift or a manual shift engine, and if manual shift, is the engine equipped with a generator?

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice

thank you that diagram is great

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice

Im pretty sure its manual shift , however Im not sure if it has a generator, where would it be located?